Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Recipe - Finally!!!!!!

So, I've been doing some cooking lately. Well, I cook every day. But I've made some things I'd like to share with you. I'm going to start with my husband's favorite side dish. Charro Beans. Its simple, spicy and soooo yummy!

You'll need:

1 lb raw pinto beans
1 onion - 1/2 large chopped and 1/2 diced
4-6 slices bacon - chopped (not pictured)
4 cloves garlic - 2 or 3 halved and 1 minced
1 tomato - diced
ground comino
montreal steal seasoning (McCormick. Not pictured)
garlic powder
salt
pepper
1 15 oz can sliced jalapenos (nacho style)
1 15 oz can sliced carrots (in same section of your grocery story as jalapenos)



Soak the beans for 2 - 3 hours to soften. You'll want to sort through them as you pour them into the pot to look for rocks or deformed beans.


When ready to start cooking, add chunks of onion and 2 - 3 cloves garlic, halved. Add garlic, salt, season salt, pepper and comino. The amounts are to your liking. We like a lot of flavor in our cooking so I add quite a bit.



Bring to a boil and cook about 1 1/2 hours until beans start to soften. I don't cover them. I like the slower cooking process. You will want to make sure there is ALWAYS water in the pot a good 2 inches over the beans so they don't burn.



In the meantime, in a medium saute pan, cook onions, tomatoes, bacon and a small amount of canned jalapenos in vegetable oil until they begin to soften. Season with Montreal Steak seasoning. Once bacon is cooked but not crispy add this mixture to the pot of beans. At this time also add remaining jalapenos with 1/2 can of juice and carrotts with 1/2 can of juice. You can add jalapenos to your liking. We love it spicy so I add all of the jalapenos. The juice is really what makes it spicy so you can alter that to your taste buds.



Let simmer until beans are totally cooked.

We usually eat these with BBQ or enchiladas or tacos. I always make Mexican rice when I make a pot of beans. That recipe is soon to follow!

Happy eating y'all!!


1 comment: