Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I had decided early in the day to make Chicken Tortilla Soup for dinner yesterday and then after lunch a cold front blew in with rain and chilly winds! Perfect weather for soup!! My hubby loves this soup and so do I!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
3 cans chicken broth (I use low sodium)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can corn
1/2 onion - chopped
1 zuchinni thinly sliced
chili powder
ground comino
salt
pepper
garlic powder
shredded cheese
3 - 4 corn tortillas


Cook and shred the chicken.

Chop the onion.


In a large pot or dutch oven, combine chicken broth, onion, seasonings to taste, rotel, corn and zuchinni.



Bring to a boil.



Add in chicken and bring back to a boil.



Let simmer for an hour or two. The longer you let it simmer the better it tastes! I top our chicken tortilla soup with tortilla strips. Here is how I make those:

Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a small pan until just bubbly.


Add tortilla strips 10 or so at a time. You don't want to over crowd the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes or until crispy.


Remove to a paper towel covered plate and season with salt while still hot.



I like to top the soup with shredded cheese and tortilla strips. You can top with avocado or fresh pico also.




Happy Eating, Y'all!!

1 comment: