Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Salisbury Steak - Yumm-O!!!!

So, we've been trying to get out of eating the same things over and over and were on a health kick. But, I haven't been feeling 100% and was really wanting some "comfort food". When we were in Corpus a couple of weeks ago, we went to Golden Corral (Barf! I know.) and my son ate Salisbury Steak. My husband suggested that I come up with a recipe or find a recipe for homemade. So, I came up with a recipe. It really wasn't hard. Coming up with recipes is fun!! :)

Christine's Salisbury Steak

1 1/2 lbs ground beef or ground chuck (My package was 1.74 lbs)
vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 c. bread crumbs
1 tbl or so McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 tbl or so Worcestershire Sauce or Soy Sauce (I was out of Worcestershire and the soy worked well)
1 large egg
Kosher Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups beef broth (I used cubes and made my own)


Heat a tablespoon or so of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 - 6 minutes.






Pour half of your onions in a large bowl and reserve the other half in a smaller bowl. In the large bowl, add the beef, bread crums, worcestershire or soy sauce, McCormick seasoning, salt and pepper to taste and the egg. Mix to combine everything well.



Form the mixture into 0val patties. With 1.74 lbs of beef I was able to make 7 fairly large patties.



Heat 2 - 3 tablespoons of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties until they are well browned, about 4 - 5 minutes per side. I did this in 2 batches. The patties will not be cooked all the way through. They will finish cooking later.




Set cooked patties aside. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of grease.

Put pan back on heat and add reserved onions back to the pan. Sprinkle in flour and cook about 2 minutes.


Add 2 1/2 cups of beef broth and bring to a boil.


Return patties to the pan, reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook until the sauce is thickened and the steaks are cooked through, about 10 minutes.


I served this with sauteed zuchinni, bell pepper and onion and white rice. It was a huge hit and my husband requested that I make it a couple of times a month!




Happy Eating, Y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment