Thursday, August 16, 2012

2 Days in a Row!! Mexican Rice...

So, I'm going to give you a recipe 2 days in a row! Mainly because yesterday's and today's go hand in hand. Mexican rice. Or rice as we call it in my house. If we're going to make regular rice we call it white rice. Our rice is a staple in our house and we cook it at least 3 times a week. Its easy, cheap and Marc, Jr. loves it just as much as his dad and I. And, I apologize for no measurments. Savory cooking in our house is done with no measuring - just tasting.

So, you'll need:

1-2 cups white rice
1 6 oz can tomato sauce
ground comino
garlic
salt
pepper
HOT water (I just keep a glassful nearby)
1/2 onion - chopped


So, I usually prep all my ingredients about 30 minutes before I start cooking so it flows better and I don't burn anything while I'm chopping something else.

First, in a medium pan (with a lid) heat a tablespoon or two of oil. Add rice to the oil. I usually just layer the bottom of the pan with rice. This will usually make enough for 1 serving for me, 2 for my hubby, 1 for the baby and enough for leftovers for Junior and I the next day.



You'll want to fry the rice until it turns a dark golden brown. Then add the onions and brown just a few more minutes.




Once all the rice is the golden brown color, add the can of tomato sauce and enough water to completely cover the rice and then some by about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.



Sorry for the blurry picture. My son was tugging on me at this point.

Add all of your spices at this point. I do healthy palmfull sizes of each and a little extra on the salt. Bring to a boil and cover and leave on medium high heat. Add HOT water as necessary until the rice is just about done cooking then let the water cook away.


I don't really know how to describe the end result. My little trick is once I know the rice is almost perfect, I remove the pan from the heat and let it keep cooking while covered. This prevents the bottom from burning but letting your rice finish cooking.




When I made it this week I served it with cilantro lime chicken breast fajitas from HEB that we sauted with onion and bell pepper. This dish is simple but always a big hit in our house.

Happy eating, y'all! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment